When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You can not serve from an empty vessel.
If you want to stop letting yourself sink down into bad feelings, you can train yourself to let the light in. You can learn to find the bright side and stay positive, avoiding negativity in your life, and going about the process of improving yourself for the better.
Find the Bright Side
By smiling, your brain activates neural messages that actually make you feel more positive. Even if you are not in the mood, you can make your face do the work. It works.
- You will also spread positivity around other people and putting them in good moods as well. You see, it's good for everyone. Happiness is the only thing that doubles once it's shared !
- Don't complain when you are not in a great mood, as this will affect the people around you too. Make it a habit and force yourself to smile more ! You will see, it will become second nature in no time!
Make some small changes in the Words you use
Words works wonders. It can accidentally bring you down or cheer you up, so make it yourself a habit to use positive words. It has a proven effect on your mood and you attitude.
- Do not identify with your feelings. This sounds somehow abstract, but it is really easy to do ! Instead of saying "I am sad", put this negativity on something else, for example "That movie made me feel sad"."
Be kind and do nice things for others
Actively choose to spread positivity, even if you're having a bad day. The things and gestures you will get in return will do a lot to make you think more positively. Here are some ideas you can do right now :
- Smile more !
- Clean up before your partner or roommate gets home
- Pick up coffee or donuts for your office
- Just say hello and compliment a stranger
Be with People you enjoy
By surrounding yourself with other positive thinkers and people who bring out the best in you, your positive thinking will improve automatically. That also means to stop hanging around with someone who are constantly putting you in a bad mood.
Keep positive quotes or Mantras with you
Keep little quotes or sayings in your pocket, phone or elsewhere as you go about your day.
Keep a journal and record each day
Pour yourself a cup of tea or anything you like at the end of the day and start writing about your day. What happened ? What went right and wrong ?
- Write down three things that went well and explain why. In the same manner, write down three things that did not go well and also explain why. Be as specific as possible
- Sometimes, what seems dramatic in your mind will suddenly seem much more pointless when you read it out loud. Ask yourself if it was really worth all that negativity and energy waste.
The entire world is a projection of your mind; a holographic mirror that reflects your present state of awareness. The world will not change until you change your perception about it
Identify your Negativity Triggers
Such are things that puts you in a dark mood or makes you feel bad. Identify those negative triggers so you can plan how to attack them in get rid of them. Ask yourself the following questions :
- Is there a particular time of day you get angry or upset ? When a particular event occurs ? Or when you are around a specific person ? What is it, that makes you angry ?
Choose your friends carefully
If your friends or someone else in your life does not contribute to your wellbeing, they don't have a place in your life. If they stress you out, criticize you or bring you down no matter how, they are a huge waste of time and energy. Avoid them at all costs.
- If it is not possible to avoid negative people, draw firm limits and be honest with them
Give Less Weight to what other People Say
If you feel good about something, let it be ! Don't distract yourself with the opinion of others. Instead, listen to your own voice and pay less attention to what other people say about you. Don't ask for other people's opinion if you don't need it urgently.
Stop Comparing yourself to Others
Competitions bring up a lot of negativity in people. Avoid situations where you have to force yourself to compare yourself to others.
Fill up your schedule with activities you love doing and that will keep you busy so you will not have any time left for negative feelings. If you are focused and productive, it's hard to even have a negative feel about something.
Set Priorities and dont't sweat small stuff
Being happy and satisfied, spending time with family and friends - these are important things and your priorities. View anything else under the category of small stuff.
Improving your Life
Exercising has no doubt positive effect on your mood, releases stress-reducing hormones that helps you to keep feeling good. Find a method of exercising that you enjoy. Here are some ideas
- Start small. A 30 minute walk around your neighborhood is a perfect start. Think about the next step, not the complete path.
Set and complete realistic goals
Feeling like you wander about aimlessly, the negativity will begin to crawl back in. Start by setting goals actively and working hard to meet them. It doesn't matter how big they are; even if they're small things, it's important to have a sense of purpose at the end of the day.
- A good way to beginn is starting a five year plan for important goals and do something every week to get yourself moving toward these goals. Where do you want to be in five years ? What do you want to do ? Is there something you would want to change ? What can you do right now to move in that direction?
Take care of what you eat
What you put into your body has a big impact on how you feel and look. Get some more leafy greens, omega - 3 fatty acids and folate as they are proven to come with mood-altering properties.
Give yourself a break
Taking breaks and relaxations is essential to staying positive. It is not a sign of weakness, but rather a necessary step to do to stay healthy.
- Take short breaks throughout your day. 10 - 15 minutes of sitting quietly and listening to calming music or reading a magazine during a busy workday can help you feel a lot more positive about the day.
- Take longer breaks too. Don't waste your vacation days. Take a week off and use it to restore.
Give yourself some time and don't be too hard on yourself
Setbacks can always happen in the process. It's important to not to be too hard on yourself as they occur and give yourself the time you need.
Some More Tips
Talking, writing and drawing are all good ways to release thoughts and emotions.
Night Time Affirmation
"Tomorrow is a new day. I embrace all that it brings.
Make a list of 3 things you are grateful for before you leave your bed.
Keep exploring each situation as if you were experiencing it for the first time.